Our church has Sunday school and morning services on a regular basis, with no Sunday night services. I guess every once in a while they have a Q&A session. So ds2 and I had planned to go to that. I made plans with my friend Rees to have her do a test wedding hairdo. We had planned to go to Sunday services, go out for lunch, then go to Rees' house at 2pm and then back to church at 6pm.
So we're sitting at Denny's and my mom calls me to let me know my Grandma is in hospice. She'll be 93 years old on the 6th of September. I told my mom I'd come see Grandma during work on Monday. My mom asked me if she didn't make it, would I be okay with not having seen her and been able to say goodbye. I said I'd be okay, but then after I got off the phone I realized maybe I'd better not waste time.
One thing I felt really good about at lunch was that I made a decision to eat only half my burger and save the rest for later. I kind of lost my appetite after the phone call from my mom, and picked at my food while I was crying on the phone with her. The burger didn't taste that good anyway. Ds2 said we shouldn't eat at Denny's again because the food isn't that good.
Usually when I go out to eat, I have trouble ordering, because everything looks so good. At least 95% of the time, I'm disappointed in the food once it gets to me. It always looks so good in the pictures. I also eat everything on my plate though, and nearly always feel uncomfortably full afterward. I thought about that as I contemplated my order, and then I decided if I had them cut my burger in two, and determine that I'd be saving the other half for later, that would make it easier to stop at satiation, instead of feeling stuffed full. It worked out good and I hope I can employ the same technique in the future. Sometimes it takes a long time for me to learn these lessons.
I called Rees and let her know I need to cancel. I was really disappointed because I'd been looking forward to seeing what she would do with my hair. But of course it was more important to visit with my Grandma.
My mom called all my siblings and let them know Grandma is in hospice.
On the way there, I realized we'd be passing by my youngest sister's place and she doesn't have a car or drive, so I offered to bring her with us.
My mom was really happy that everyone was able to come visit - well, not EVERYONE, because she hasn't been able to get hold of her sister, and two of my siblings live in other states. My brother lives here, I'm not sure where he was. Maybe my mom didn't want to add him into the mix at the same time.
I got this really neat photo of all of us standing around Grandma's bed. It will make a great 8x10.
We got back to church just after 5:30. Q&A started at 6pm. Only one other couple besides the pastor and his wife showed up. We asked questions and got answers until after 8pm. I finally crawled into bed at 10. I'm very tired this morning. And hungry and there was nothing to bring for lunch. Oooooooh, my eyes are trying to close I'm so tired.
My Grandma survived breast cancer in 1954. She had a mastectomy. I guess the cancer came back as a tumor showed up on her chest not too many weeks ago. Since she is going to be 93 years old, the doctors are not suggesting treatment. She is too frail and old to survive the rigors of aggressive cancer therapy. My mom hopes she makes it to her 93rd birthday. That's next Saturday.
Until next time.
Monday, August 27, 2007
What A Day Yesterday Was
Labels: Memory Lane
Posted by RawMilkStar at 7:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment