One day I'll learn how to stop being swayed by what other people say. I don't know if it would be better to just stop asking people what they think? Is the problem that I ask for their opinion because I am seeking their approval? Or is it all a learning experience for me so that I can learn to do what I want even in the face of adversity? I think people will hate me if I don't follow their advice. But it's impossible to please everyone.
I wanted to make the tablecloths from lace, as I mentioned in my entry Lace Tablecloth. I bought the lace and took it in to work to show my coworkers. Our janitor loved it and thought it would make great tablecloths. My boss seemed to like it. I showed it to Deema and was promptly shot down. When I first told her about it, she gave me about five reasons why I couldn't use lace. It's too hard to sew with (um, she does not sew AT ALL), it isn't DONE, how am I going to make a perfect circle that big, and a couple others I don't remember. I'm trying to persuade her to start her own blog because she has definite ideas about how the world and society should be and act. I know I do, too, but she's really insistent. I know that part of the reason she opposes me is because she would NEVER consider doing anything like this herself.
So I brought the lace in to show her. She hates it. Here's what the lace looks like draped over a table.
She said I was supposed to use plain linens for the tables. Well, I told her I wasn't using linens because they were too expensive. She asked me why I just didn't use paper.
I told my boss that Deema hated the lace tablecloth idea and she said, "It's for the HEAD table," because you see, even though my boss is a tough bird, she also likes to please people (you wouldn't know it from outward appearances). So she said what I should do (compromise suggestion) is to make a tablecloth for the big rectangular tables we have and use that for my head table.
So then I started thinking maybe the lace tablecloths would look way too fancy for my afternoon not so formal wedding. And then I got confused.
Dh had a dental appointment to have deep scale cleaning done and we initially thought his appointment was at 2:30. But then it ended up being at 1pm. He picked me up because I was going to go over to the fabric store and buy another length of the lace so I could get the one experimental table made. I had said I'd use the lace for at least for the bride and groom table. Now it all changed to where I wasn't even going to make even one circle tablecloth, maybe. He ended up taking me to get something to eat and driving me back to work, then back to his appointment.
Regarding the confusion, if I wasn't going to go to the fabric store, what was the point of going with him to his earlier appointment, since I had to go back to work until 2:30 anyway?
Then on the way back to work, I started wondering why wasn't I going to buy the lace and make the circle tablecloth anyway? Why was I letting people tell me what to do?
If the tablecloth was going to look too fancy, that's one thing. If it was going to look like I was trying to hard or something... I just don't know what to think. I especially don't know why I have to be so eager to please everyone. Although Deema did finally sigh and say, "I may as well stop talking because I know you are going to do exactly as you please." Knowing full well that many things she has said have influenced me to do something different. So now I don't know whether her comment had a hidden message in it (my mother used to do that) trying to persuade me further or take it at face value. When she said that I said, "I am going to make at LEAST one tablecloth to see how the material is to work with. If it's too hard, then I'll drop the whole idea." Because each tablecloth is going to cost about $3.25.
She was the one that said my original dress, the one I was going to sew for myself, looked like a "Mother of the Bride" dress. I thought the blue one looked even more like a MOTB dress.
Enough of that. Today ds1 and I went shopping together. We stopped at Denny's for breakfast. That was a nice treat. We did the "shred" pickup, and shopped for a few things while at Walmart. We were home by 1pm. I was so tired that I decided to lay down for a nap and ended up sleeping for three hours. That's why I'm up so late.
We also went to a thrift store and I found a fold up table that I wanted. I was very pleased when I found it was only five dollars. It is about the width of a card table, but longer. It is shorter than the dining room table so I think my neck and back will ache less when doing the veil beading. I hope.
I decided today that working all morning until 1pm is a good plan. So that is what I'll do tomorrow. I'll see how much I can get done in the way of housework, and then start working on the veil again. I also want to try sewing with the lace. That was the main point of making one tablecloth, to see how difficult it was to sew and work with. Then Sunday is church so I'll have to figure out how to divide up my day.
I have realized that I love lace. This store that has it on sale for $0.75/yard, I would just love to buy yards and yards and yards of it and drape it all over the place. It is just beautiful material.
Dh's mother has asked if we would be interested in having a night or two at a local resort for our honeymoon. Dh asked me why people keep pushing this on us? (My friend BB also offered that she has a timeshare at a local resort hotel). He just doesn't understand the whole idea of weddings and honeymoons. That's my macho man. :-) When I explained to him the main reason why, he said maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea. ;-) She said to give it some thought and let her know what we would like to do. She is the best mother-in-law that anyone could wish for and I'm so pleased that she will become my lawful MIL once again. She has told me over the years that she will always be my MIL, so don't stop referring to her as that. I have actually known her longer than I have known her son!
Until next time.
Friday, August 10, 2007
Lace Tablecloth - Take II
Labels: Wedding
Posted by RawMilkStar at 8:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
YES. Go far, far away like New York for your honeymoon. We'll take care of things here, just be the hell out of the house during that period.
Post a Comment