
My sister Dee Elle, who is 22 months younger than me found this recipe years ago. I think it was a recipe she found from the local newspaper. I looked on the Internet and also found it here: Fiesta Corn Tamale Torte. It is exactly the same recipe my sister and I used years ago, except the above website considers is a breakfast meal. I'm making this for our Christmas staff party at work. I'll try to remember to take a photo when it's done.
Fiesta Corn Tamale Torte
Meat Filling:
* 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
* 1 med. onion, chopped
* 1 lb. lean ground beef
* 4 lg. cloves garlic, minced
* 12 oz. can tomato sauce
* 1/4 C. water
* 4 1/2 tsp. chili powder
* salt & pepper to taste
Corn Bread:
* 3 eggs
* 1 C. sour cream
* 1 C. milk
* 1 tsp. sugar
* 1 - 4 ounce can green chilies
* 1 1/4 C. yellow cornmeal
* 1 1/2 C. flour
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 tsp. salt
* several dashes hot pepper sauce
* 1 1/2 C. frozen corn
* 2 C. shredded longhorn cheese
Filling:
Heat oil over med-high heat, sauté onion until soft. Add meat & garlic, cook until brown, drain grease. Stir in tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt & pepper to taste. Cook over med-high heat, uncovered, stirring often, until liquid has evaporated, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Cornbread:
In medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in sour cream & milk. Add sugar, green chilies, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & hot pepper sauce, whisking until combined. Stir in corn & cheese.
Preheat oven to 350º. Generously butter the bottom & sides of a 9 x 13 pan. Pour 1/2 the cornbread batter into pan & spread evenly. Spoon meat over & spread gently to form an even layer. Top with remaining batter. Bake in center of oven for 45 to 85 minutes, or until golden brown & sharp knife comes out clean. Remove from oven & let stand at room temp for 20 minutes.
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Fiesta Corn Tamale Torte
Labels: recipes
Posted by RawMilkStar at 2:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yum! I just looked through a bunch of your posts, and you have so many recipes I'll have to try now :) Thanks for sharing your blog - I look forward to reading more.
Post a Comment