Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Spinach Chicken Enchiladas


This is an experimental dish that I put together on Sunday afternoon. Makes 6 enchiladas. I loved the spinach flavor in the enchiladas. Ds2 said it tasted like lasagna... that reminds me... I make a killer veg lasagna... I'll have to make that sometime soon.

Enchilada sauce:
4 T. whole wheat (or white) flour
1 c. broth (chicken or beef)
1 c. milk
1 4-oz can mild chopped green chiles
pinch cayenne pepper (if you want a bit of heat)
salt and pepper to taste


6 corn tortillas
8 ounces shredded longhorn or mild cheddar cheese
8 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
8 ounces cooked spinach, drained, chopped

Mix the sauce ingredients together, mix with a whisk and heat until the sauce boils and thickens. Stir often so the bottom doesn't stick.

Hold out a handful of cheese to spread over the top of the enchiladas when baking.

Take one corn tortilla and dip it into the hot enchilada sauce. Let it set for a few seconds to soften the tortilla and make it pliable for rolling. Lay the tortilla into a greased 8"x8" glass cooking dish. Lay a small handful of shredded cheese onto the tortilla, then chicken and spinach. Carefully roll the tortilla into a roll and slide to the side of the dish. Repeat until the tortillas are all rolled into the pan. Ladle some enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle the leftover cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and place in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes.

After the enchiladas are done, serve with shredded lettuce on the side with some enchilada sauce ladled over the lettuce.

1 comment:

CorwinFan15 said...

MAMA. MAMA.


MAMA.



I AM A DYING BABY BIRD. MAMA. I DESPERATELY REQUIRE LASAGNA AND TO DIE. MAMA.


MAMA.

MAMA. MAMA. MAMA. MAH-MAH, MAH-MAH, MAH-MAH, MAH-MAH...